And Stuff Like That: Reloaded

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Vote Tuesday, April 4.

The election is nearly upon us, and I wanted to chime in on where I stand on the various issues. Obviously, those of you outside of the Kansas City area don't know the candidates or issues, so I'll try to fill you in as I go.

The hot-button item here in KC is the vote for or against the stadium improvements. One ballot item would provide a bunch of millions of dollars to make improvements to Arrowhead and Kauffman Stadiums, home of the Chiefs and Royals, respectively. The second issue would fund a rolling roof to go across one, the other, or neither stadiums. The idea is that Arrowhead could be covered for this event or the other, Kauffman could be covered for games where they know that bad weather is coming, or the roof could sit in between the stadiums, acting as a cover for a new pavilion of sorts going there. Reluctantly, I'm going to vote yes for both of these, even though I doubt they'll pass. My reasoning is two-fold: First, the stadiums DO need improvements, and I'm afraid that the teams really WILL leave KC if this issue doesn't pass. Second, the rolling roof was originally in the stadium complex plans. The picture I've included is an original rendition from when the stadiums were built. At the time, the project ran out of money and the roof was nixed. When all is said and done, I would most prefer that Arrowhead be rebuilt with a roof and money be spent to renovate Kauffman. That doesn't look like it's going to happen, though.

In Independence, voters will choose a new Mayor and two At-Large City Council members, I'm voting for Lois McDonald for mayor and Jason White and Jim Schultz for council. Both McDonald and her opponent, incumbant Mayor Pro Tem Don Reimal, would do a bang-up job as mayor, but I think McDonald has more energy and fresher ideas to bring to the Council. As for White and Schultz, the City has seen lots of progress in the last four years and I think they both do an excellent job to really decide what's best for all the citizens of Independence.

So there you have it: Yes, Yes, McDonald, White, Schultz. Now I just need to wait for Tuesday...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home