And Stuff Like That: Reloaded

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Love . . . and Marriage?

So much to say, so little time to say it before bed. Here goes:

Things with Glenda and me are still going along very well. I'm probably going to marry her. Go ahead and read that sentence again. In this case, "probably" means that we have gone to jewelry stores so that I can get an idea of what she likes in a ring. Yeah.

"So what is it about this gal?" you ask? She's amazing, yo. She's so incredibly kind, loving, considerate, gentle, FUNNY, and more that I don't have enough time to go into it now. What I will also say is that she's an amazing mother to her five-year-old son, Benjamin. He's such a great kid, too.

It's interesting, a few years ago I would have never even considered being with a single mother. It was just "baggage" that I didn't want to deal with. Since then my thoughts have obviously taken a 180. Now I see it as an opportunity to fill in a gap that has existed for too long in their lives -- especially so with Glenda and Benjamin. His father's never seen him. This guy is long gone. Glenda has had NO male parental unit to help raise Benjamin except for her father. He's done what he can but she really needs a companion to help raise her son. She needs a companion to offer her love and support.

I honestly can see myself being that person. The prospect of it is exciting! I would almost certainly adopt Benjamin from the get-go of our marriage. Assuming all the legalities of that can be worked out, it would help solidify our family for as long as we three shall live.

Glenda and I are really just so compatible. Where I am weak she is strong. Where she is weak, I can be her strength. We genuinely find comfort in being together and joy in sharing the positives of life together. When the sad times come, we cry together and it's okay.

I've never been in love before, and I know that now that I'm in love with her. She makes me want to be a better man. I've dated several other women since high school, and the only ones that made me think I could remotely see myself married to them were the ones that made me want to be a better Michael. The difference between them and Glenda, though, is that she and I are in tune with each other. We share the same goals for our lives. We want to minister together. We have a mutual bond that I never had with anyone else, and that bond is unconditional love.

It feels good. I'm really excited! I'll keep you posted. Shalom and Smiles.

4 Comments:

  • This is wonderful, my friend. I'm thrilled that things are working out for you. When's the double date? I still need to meet this lady-friend.
    -S

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:01 AM, October 13, 2006  

  • I am so happy that you are so happy. It makes "my heart smile" You deserve the best and I wish you well with whatever comes your way. Thanks for sharing the good news!! :)
    -Beth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:48 AM, October 15, 2006  

  • Congratulations!
    Forgive me for being the stuffy, practical voice in this crowd but please do be sure that Glenda and you discuss your role as "Dad". Right now they are a family unit - just them against the world. It isn't going to work if Benjamin is always going to be 1st banana in her life, leaving you in second place with no authority. "No, honey, that's not how WE do things" meaning she and her son, makes for many bad feelings and is ultimately very bad for the child.
    Okay, enough of that. I hope it all works out great for you all.
    -rtb

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:47 AM, October 17, 2006  

  • R,
    Thanks for your thoughts. We have talked about that stuff quite a bit. She's seen me interact with him and feels comfortable that our techniques and approaches are in sync with each other.

    When I've had a question about her preference concerning a disciplinary manner, I look to her for direction.

    Having a single-parent brother, I realize completely that Benjamin will always be number 1 in her life and I have let her know that I acknowledge that. Incidentally, she seems very dedicated to finding a companion who will take in Benjamin as his own son. She doesn't just want a step-dad for her son. She wants a husband who can take Benjamin in as his own child.

    When Glenda and I marry, I will adopt Benjamin to cement our family together for as long as we all shall live.

    By Blogger Michael Buttgen - The "Barefoot Voice", at 8:11 AM, October 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home